Why Cabinets Make the Difference in Kitchen and Bath Design
Getting ready to begin a kitchen and bathroom renovation?
Or have you had the kitchen completed already and now it’s finally time for the bathroom to be upgraded?
There are many elements to consider when remodeling any room, but the biggest item you probably think about is cabinets. Cabinets are one of the more expensive items on your to-buy list, and it’s important to choose cabinets that both meet the needs of your lifestyle and fit your kitchen and bath design preferences.
Bathroom and Kitchen Cabinets: What’s the Difference?
- Depth – Kitchen cabinets are usually 24 inches deep, while bathroom cabinets are typically 21 inches deep.
- Height – Cabinets for the kitchen are usually 34 inches high, while bathroom cabinets are usually 31 inches. However, today many bathroom cabinets are being made 34 inches high, too.
Considerations before Choosing Bathroom Cabinets
Make sure you ask yourself a few questions during the design phase. What is your bathroom routine? Is it just you and your partner, or do kids use your bathroom too? If you’re designing a brand-new home, think about designs of friends and family’s bathrooms that you like and what elements you want to incorporate into your own bathroom.
Remember: bathroom cabinets are in rooms that are humid, wet, and frequently used. Carefully consider materials to make sure yours are durable and will last for years to come.
Other considerations include:
- Customization – Stock, mass-produced cabinets will save you money, but come in limited sizes. Semi-custom cabinets will be a bit more expensive but will give you a larger selection of door styles, sizes, stains, and glazes. Custom cabinets are the most expensive option, but you’ll get any color, size, and design you can dream of!
- Storage – Take a bathroom inventory. How much of your things do you need to be within arm’s reach? Consider hanging vanities that utilize the area around the plumbing. A wider vanity provides more storage, but a narrower vanity will give you more useable square footage on the floor. Which is best for your needs?
Kitchen Cabinets: Upgrade Your Basic Cabinets
Trying to make your kitchen bolder and trendier? Consider mixing up the colors on your upper and lower cabinets, or by adding cabinets to your island.
Other upgrades to consider when buying cabinets for the kitchen are:
- Roll-Out Shelving – Custom kitchens have lots of built-in features to add functionality and adding shelving to your cabinets can be done on a budget! Consider a roll-out shelf for bottom cabinets to make it easier to store pots and pans.
- Flat-front cabinets – Also called slab doors, flat-front doors are solid with no panels or any other framing. This simple, minimalist look works really well for modern kitchens.
- Soft close cabinets – Consider this type of hinge for your cabinets to reduce noise in your kitchen. Drawers and doors suffer damage over the years of being slammed close, so this is a great way to preserve your cabinets.
Have More Questions about Kitchen and Bath Design?
Whether you're dreaming of a luxurious, spa-inspired master bedroom retreat or a simple main-level powder room, our interior designers will take the same personal and thoughtful approach, considering functional needs and universal design as well as aesthetic appeal. We can also help whether you're dreaming of a luxurious, spa-inspired master bedroom retreat or a simple main-level powder room.
Whether it's a kitchen, bath, basement, addition, or a whole house, we’ve built our 30+ year reputation on exacting design and workmanship. Our designers, project managers, craftsmen, and trades partners take immense pride in their work and in providing smiles from start to finish! Contact us today to get started!
All smiles from start to finish!
We came to love our team! Frank became part of the family. Every day the house was cleaned and organized. And Mary had great design ideas and listened to our passions to create the best spa experience.
Todd and Trisha, Commerce Twp., MI
The whole team was approachable and responsive to my emails and questions. I would recommend this company for any project, big or small.
Louise, Ann Arbor, MI
The deciding factor in choosing to work with Alpha was their confidence in the project and completion time line. They have done other renovations for us and it was a positive experience once again.
Debbie, Chelsea, MI
We felt very comfortable when we initially visited Alpha. We felt the staff was open, honest, and wouldn't mislead us.
Jeffrey & Kim, Ypsilanti, MI
Alpha Design's priorities are happy customers!
Hugh, Ann Arbor, MI
Cy was a fabulous construction manager. Always communicated with me about any issues, arrival time, etc... So polite and kind. Mary was also so great. She's so creative!
Karen & Dave, Ann Arbor, MI
We appreciate the quality of the work by everyone who came to our house. Dan Mattes was very patient and helpful and answered all of our questions. Our new bathrooms are great!
Steve and Melissa, Ann Arbor, MI
The entire Alpha team was so nice to work with. Every person we dealt with knew their craft and the final product is an example of that.
Jonathan and Amanda, Ann Arbor, MI
We liked the people. Good working relationship. Design fit our vision. Materials and workmanship were high quality. We would definitely use you again on a future project.
Brian and Joey, Ann Arbor, MI
Ken, Mary, and Phil made the renovation process for our bathroom-laundry room pretty painless. They kept us in the loop, cleaned up at the end of the day, and always demonstrated a high level of professionalism (early/on-time, respectful, reliable, etc.) which made them stand out compared to all the other contractors we contacted.
Adrianne and Chris, Ann Arbor, MI
The new bathroom is great. It was a very positive experience from beginning to end. The quality of the people working for
Alpha is a real credit to the company.
Chris and Pam, Ann Arbor, MI
When it comes to design, cost management and construction, the team at Alpha made me feel confident and reassured that my project would be completed on time and on budget.
Jeff and Mary, Ann Arbor, MI
I have nothing but good things to say about Alpha and what they did for us and our house. What Alpha says they will do, they do. Everyone I talked to had a horror story about contractors. Alpha is the anti-horror story. Alpha is that rarest of commodities – a genuinely reliable contractor.
Tony and Lisa, Ann Arbor, MI
I would highly recommend Alpha to others. The company workers are courteous, show respect and concern for the customer and demonstrate careful and fine workmanship.
Sara, Ann Arbor, MI
In our initial meeting, Alpha was very informative giving us a step-by-step on how and when things happen through the remodel process. Alpha took what seemed to us an overwhelming job and made it a very clear, step-by-step process ending in a great new kitchen!
George and Barb, Pinckney, MI
I absolutely love my house now. It looks brand new, and I have received many compliments from my neighbors (some of whom I have never spoken to before).
Kathy, Saline, MI
To the Alpha team who helped our kitchen be such a wonderful place for us to hang out, cook, and simply enjoy. If we had it to do over again, we wouldn’t change a single thing. We were most impressed with the professionalism you people displayed while working with us. Thank you.
Fred and Barbara, Ann Arbor, MI
We had Alpha build a two-story addition on our 1927 Dutch Colonial house. The design team at Alpha did such a good job of matching the style of the house that people who see it now believe it was all part of the original house.