Six Great Ways to Add Function to Your Bathroom Remodel Design
Want to make sure your new bathroom has a more functional design than your current one?
Is adding function to your bathroom a top priority when it comes to your remodel design?
Interested in expert tips that will help improve the functionality of your dream bath remodel in Ann Arbor?
Most of us don’t have endless space in our homes to devote to the bathroom. That means we end up needing to get a lot out of a smaller space. As a result, one thing we often hear from our clients who are considering a bath remodel is adding more functionality to their space.
As design specialists with nearly three decades of experience, the team at Alpha Design + Build knows exactly how to bring more function to your bathroom. Check out our list of tips for a more functional bathroom to help you think about what you want for your new space.
Our recommendations for adding function to your bathroom design and remodel:
- Durable Materials: increase the function of your bathroom by choosing materials that are easy to take care of and hold up to moisture. Check out wood-look ceramic tiles instead of hardwood flooring, don’t think of laminate as a dirty word, extend tile up and along the wall, and opt for less porous countertops.
- Built-Ins: get some storage out of your wall space without sacrificing floor space when you build shelving and cabinetry into the wall. Recessed medicine cabinets and open shelves create space to make it easier to keep your bathroom tidy and have an expensive, custom look.
- Lighting: although we use the bathroom for grooming, makeup, and generally checking ourselves out, it’s often the worst lit room in the house! Bring more light into your space with wall sconces, recessed lighting, more windows, or a lighted vanity mirror. If you like using your bathroom as a relaxation zone, consider making at least one of your lighting upgrades dimmable to set the mood.
- More Storage: adding storage is an essential design element for increased function. In your bathroom you can get the most of your storage by choosing floor to ceiling cabinetry instead of more traditional small cabinets. If you have the space, you can also place a chest or wardrobe in the room for added storage and design flare.
- Second Sink: this one might be a no-brainer, but we’ll mention it anyway. If you have the room for it, add a second sink. When you’re getting ready in the morning, having a double vanity is almost as good as having two bathrooms! Even if you don’t have room for the double vanity, we have design options to help you add this function to your bathroom remodel.
- Aging in Place: if you plan on staying in your home well into old age or you want to accommodate a family member with a disability, our design specialists can help. Functional features for aging in place design include extra-large showers with built-in seating, walk-in bathtubs, handheld shower heads, sturdy support rails, and more.
Alpha Design + Build Can Help Add Function to Your Bath Remodel in Ann Arbor
Now that you have a better idea how you can increase the function of your bathroom with smart design and expert remodeling, it’s time to take the next step: email or give us a call today! With an eye for details and design, our team is ready to help you plan the perfect space!
All smiles from start to finish!
Cy was a fabulous construction manager. Always communicated with me about any issues, arrival time, etc... So polite and kind. Mary was also so great. She's so creative!
Karen & Dave, Ann Arbor, MI
We appreciate the quality of the work by everyone who came to our house. Dan Mattes was very patient and helpful and answered all of our questions. Our new bathrooms are great!
Steve and Melissa, Ann Arbor, MI
The entire Alpha team was so nice to work with. Every person we dealt with knew their craft and the final product is an example of that.
Jonathan and Amanda, Ann Arbor, MI,
We liked the people. Good working relationship. Design fit our vision. Materials and workmanship were high quality. We would definitely use you again on a future project.
Brian and Joey, Ann Arbor, MI
Ken, Mary, and Phil made the renovation process for our bathroom-laundry room pretty painless. They kept us in the loop, cleaned up at the end of the day, and always demonstrated a high level of professionalism (early/on-time, respectful, reliable, etc.) which made them stand out compared to all the other contractors we contacted.
Adrianne and Chris, Ann Arbor, MI
The new bathroom is great. It was a very positive experience from beginning to end. The quality of the people working for
Alpha is a real credit to the company.
Chris and Pam, Ann Arbor, MI
When it comes to design, cost management and construction, the team at Alpha made me feel confident and reassured that my project would be completed on time and on budget.
Jeff and Mary, Ann Arbor, MI
I have nothing but good things to say about Alpha and what they did for us and our house. What Alpha says they will do, they do. Everyone I talked to had a horror story about contractors. Alpha is the anti-horror story. Alpha is that rarest of commodities – a genuinely reliable contractor.
Tony and Lisa, Ann Arbor, MI
I would highly recommend Alpha to others. The company workers are courteous, show respect and concern for the customer and demonstrate careful and fine workmanship.
Sara, Ann Arbor, MI
In our initial meeting, Alpha was very informative giving us a step-by-step on how and when things happen through the remodel process. Alpha took what seemed to us an overwhelming job and made it a very clear, step-by-step process ending in a great new kitchen!
George and Barb, Pinckney, MI
I absolutely love my house now. It looks brand new, and I have received many compliments from my neighbors (some of whom I have never spoken to before).
Kathy, Saline, MI
To the Alpha team who helped our kitchen be such a wonderful place for us to hang out, cook, and simply enjoy. If we had it to do over again, we wouldn’t change a single thing. We were most impressed with the professionalism you people displayed while working with us. Thank you.
Fred and Barbara, Ann Arbor, MI
We had Alpha build a two-story addition on our 1927 Dutch Colonial house. The design team at Alpha did such a good job of matching the style of the house that people who see it now believe it was all part of the original house.