6 Design Ideas for Underused Basements
Is your basement the one unfinished item on your home remodeling to-do list?
Do you have a hard time envisioning the right design for the size and functionality of your space?
Basements are notorious for being one of the trickiest spots to design. Basements can be sprawling in some homes, or tiny in others. They’re often oddly-shaped, sometimes with low ceilings, and it’s easy to feel stuck when trying to think through the design possibilities.
Whether you want your basement to be a family play area, an in-home movie theater, or just an area in your home for extra storage, there are a few popular basement design ideas that might help get your wheels turning as you start to plan for a remodel.
Think Outside the Box when Remodeling the Basement of Your Home in Ann Arbor or the Surrounding Communities
Whether you’re tackling a complete basement remodel, or need your basement refinished, we can help you get the job done! Alpha’s long experience with flood restoration and mold remediation led to the development of our proprietary Dura Dry basement finishing system, with an emphasis on customizable solutions.
- Screening Room – Is your living room too small to comfortably fit the entire family for movie night or to watch the big game? Turn your basement into a screening room! A large, comfy sectional and a large TV or movie screen will complete the space. A small refrigerator for snack storage is an added bonus to round out the space.
- Hidden Office – If you work from home or just like to have an organized space for bill paying or doing your taxes, a home office is a great idea. If you don’t have a spare room to use, consider the basement. There are several brands that make “hidden offices” – wardrobes that open to reveal a desk and chair, but look like a closet when closed. It will hide any mess, and allow you to truly put away your work when you’re done!
- Plush Guest Room – If you need some extra space for guests, set up a suite in your basement! Room dividers can be used to create the illusion of privacy if putting up an additional wall isn’t an option. Furnish the room with high thread count bedding, fluffy towels, and a bedside light to really make your guests feel at home. If you already have a bathroom in your basement, this area will be the perfect getaway for friends and family who come to visit.
- Colorful Playroom – Tired of your kids’ toys spreading out across the entire house? The basement might be the perfect spot to set up a playroom. Choose a lighter color for the walls to make the space seem larger and more inviting, and use bookshelves to store toys and books. A table and chairs and a comfy rug on the floor will make this the perfect playtime getaway.
- Multipurpose Family Space – You don’t necessarily need to choose just one theme for your basement. Instead, an open, multipurpose space might better suit your needs. Include a play area for the kids, a bar area for adults, and comfortable furniture for everyone to gather and watch movies.
- Home Gym – It’s very common for homeowners to keep their work out equipment in the basement, but have you ever thought of taking it to the next level and creating an in-home gym? Tailor it your tastes – a mini yoga studio, a mirror on the wall in front of a spinning bike, a weight rack… whatever you need to get good exercise, you can achieve here.
Ann Arbor-based Alpha Design + Build Starts Your Basement Remodeling Project with an Exceptional Design
Our professional designers are passionate about what they do. For clients, this translates into a thorough exploration of design possibilities, with multiple layout options whenever possible, and an offering of cutting-edge materials and furnishings for the adventurous client. (We do, however, know how to reign ourselves in). There is no cookie cutter in our design toolbox. Your Alpha designer will work closely with an estimator/project manager to ensure that the design is practicable and fits the budget.
Our design team has the knowledge and expertise to help you, and our project managers, carpenters, and tradesmen have the skills to get the job done. At Alpha Design + Build, we believe that a properly designed project is less expensive, completed more quickly, and has fewer cost overruns than a project done “on the fly”. Our process puts you first!
Contact us today to set up a consultation, and start creating your dream home.
All smiles from start to finish!
The whole team was approachable and responsive to my emails and questions. I would recommend this company for any project, big or small.
Louise, Ann Arbor, MI
We felt very comfortable when we initially visited Alpha. We felt the staff was open, honest, and wouldn't mislead us.
Jeffrey & Kim, Ypsilanti, MI
Alpha Design's priorities are happy customers!
Hugh, Ann Arbor, MI
Cy was a fabulous construction manager. Always communicated with me about any issues, arrival time, etc... So polite and kind. Mary was also so great. She's so creative!
Karen & Dave, Ann Arbor, MI
We appreciate the quality of the work by everyone who came to our house. Dan Mattes was very patient and helpful and answered all of our questions. Our new bathrooms are great!
Steve and Melissa, Ann Arbor, MI
The entire Alpha team was so nice to work with. Every person we dealt with knew their craft and the final product is an example of that.
Jonathan and Amanda, Ann Arbor, MI
We liked the people. Good working relationship. Design fit our vision. Materials and workmanship were high quality. We would definitely use you again on a future project.
Brian and Joey, Ann Arbor, MI
Ken, Mary, and Phil made the renovation process for our bathroom-laundry room pretty painless. They kept us in the loop, cleaned up at the end of the day, and always demonstrated a high level of professionalism (early/on-time, respectful, reliable, etc.) which made them stand out compared to all the other contractors we contacted.
Adrianne and Chris, Ann Arbor, MI
The new bathroom is great. It was a very positive experience from beginning to end. The quality of the people working for
Alpha is a real credit to the company.
Chris and Pam, Ann Arbor, MI
When it comes to design, cost management and construction, the team at Alpha made me feel confident and reassured that my project would be completed on time and on budget.
Jeff and Mary, Ann Arbor, MI
I have nothing but good things to say about Alpha and what they did for us and our house. What Alpha says they will do, they do. Everyone I talked to had a horror story about contractors. Alpha is the anti-horror story. Alpha is that rarest of commodities – a genuinely reliable contractor.
Tony and Lisa, Ann Arbor, MI
I would highly recommend Alpha to others. The company workers are courteous, show respect and concern for the customer and demonstrate careful and fine workmanship.
Sara, Ann Arbor, MI
In our initial meeting, Alpha was very informative giving us a step-by-step on how and when things happen through the remodel process. Alpha took what seemed to us an overwhelming job and made it a very clear, step-by-step process ending in a great new kitchen!
George and Barb, Pinckney, MI
I absolutely love my house now. It looks brand new, and I have received many compliments from my neighbors (some of whom I have never spoken to before).
Kathy, Saline, MI
To the Alpha team who helped our kitchen be such a wonderful place for us to hang out, cook, and simply enjoy. If we had it to do over again, we wouldn’t change a single thing. We were most impressed with the professionalism you people displayed while working with us. Thank you.
Fred and Barbara, Ann Arbor, MI
We had Alpha build a two-story addition on our 1927 Dutch Colonial house. The design team at Alpha did such a good job of matching the style of the house that people who see it now believe it was all part of the original house.